|By Keith Mahne|
The 90s were a marvelous time to be a Disney fan. Known as The Disney Decade, Disney's growth became truly phenomenal. It all started in January 1990 when Disney Chairman Michael Eisner unveiled an ambitious ten-year building plan and by mid-decade attendance passed 500 million guests. The Disney Decade brought with it some major accomplishments for the Walt Disney World Resort with things like Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the high-speed Test Track, Splash Mountain, Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3-D, Fantasmic!, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, ten incredible resorts, and so much more. Join us today as we pay tribute to the 90s at Walt Disney World with 95 MUST SEE photos you won't want to miss...
Just to put things into prospective, here is a list of all the major additions that came to Walt Disney World during The Disney Decade of the 90s:
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom - a whole new species of theme park with 13 animal-themed adventures opened in 1998. A greatly expanded Asia section opened in 1999.
- At Epcot - Innoventions, “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience,” high-speed Test Track and the highly creative Journey Into Your Imagination
- At Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain, “Legend of the Lion King,” The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin and New Tomorrowland
- At Disney-MGM Studios - Star Tours, “Voyage of the Little Mermaid,” “Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3-D,” “Disney’s Doug Live!”, “Bear in the Big Blue House,” “Sounds Dangerous Starring Drew Carey,” “Fantasmic!”, Sunset Boulevard with The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Ten outstanding resorts in a variety of themes and price ranges
- Two new golf courses
- Disney Vacation Club in three locations with exceptional opportunities for owning a piece of the magic
- One additional water adventure park, Blizzard Beach
- Two miniature golf courses, Fantasia and Winter Summerland
- Major nighttime entertainment, dining and shopping in three areas of the new Downtown Disney, including DisneyQuest and Cirque du Soleil
- Disney’s Wide World of Sports, a major sports complex
- Disney Institute, a whole new kind of enrichment vacation for individuals and groups
- The City of Celebration with innovation in homes, business environment and education
- Disney Cruise Line, with two ships, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder, sailing from Port Canaveral, Fla
Keith Michael Mahne is the owner and editor of Disney Avenue and the host of the Disney Avenue Podcast. He has made countless trips to the Walt Disney World resort since his first trip in 1989 at the age of four. Keith has a strong passion and respect for Walt Disney, the parks and resorts, and the men and women who help create them. He started Disney Avenue as a way to inform and entertain readers and to repay all those who make dreams come true every day.